The West Wing: GOP Edition
I watched Mr. Sterling
last night. Like on The West Wing
, the President is a Democrat. In Mr. Sterling
, they go a little further and make the Senate Democratically controlled, and, although Sterling is an independent, he leans left, and his staff are all Democrats.
In real life, the President and both houses are controlled by the GOP. So why the discrepancy? The West Wing
was created during the Clinton presidency and accurately portrays the makeup of the government at the time. Mr. Sterling
, however, premiered a couple of months ago, and still has a Democratic bent. The pilot was probably written when the Democrats still controlled the Senate, but that's not really an excuse. Clearly, the creators of the show felt more comfortable writing about lefty politics--or maybe they wanted to attract The West Wing's
audience so they mimicked its politics.
I think that's a shame, because I'd welcome a fictional political show about the GOP. It would give us a chance to see the rationale behind conservative policies. The liberal writers of The West Wing
get a chance to explain their ideas in more than the sound bites that modern politics allows--so should conservatives.
With the major networks spinning off their popular dramas (Law and Order, CSI), there's no reason why NBC can't spin-off an alternate show, perhaps called The West Wing: GOP
. To help them get started, I'll be publishing, on this site, some scenes that they can feel free to use if they decide to go ahead with it.
Here's the first of what I hope will be a weekly series:
THE WEST WING: GOP -- PILOT
INT. OVAL OFFICE OF THE WHITE HOUSE
PRESIDENT BORGE GUSH seated behind his desk--His Chief Political Advisor, RARL KOVE has just entered the office and is walking towards the desk holding a sheet of paper.
Is that it?
Yes. (Hands sheet of paper to Gush who starts reading it, pen in hand, making notes while reading).
This isn't going to work. We know that Social Security and Medicare are bad programs, but they are very popular. We can't come out and say we want to shut them down.
I know--we've come up with something. By only projecting the budget out five years, we can hide the impact of our tax cuts on our ability to pay for entitlements to the boomers. We're also introducing a bill to end taxes on dividends to tie up the Democrats while the rest of the tax plan sails through.
That only works if we can sell the tax cut. How do we convince 95% of the American public to be for giving more than half of the tax cut to the other 5%?
That's a little tricky. We're going to raise the alert status to orange and turn up the heat on Iraq--but that's just a distraction. Ultimately, we just need to convince the middle 20% to go with us, so what we're going to do is only present the tax plan as averages--we'll average their cut with the millionaires to make it look like they'll be getting about $1,100 when only the top 20% will actually get that.
Great. Then after re-election, we'll shut down Social Security and Medicare and have 40% of the budget freed up to use on the war and real tax relief. We just need to figure out how to pay for caring for our Greatest Generation and their children.
The dividend tax cut goes mainly to them--it should be no problem.
INT. WHITE HOUSE BRIEFING ROOM
Press Secretary FLARI EISCHER standing at podium. Seats facing him are filled with REPORTERS.
Tune in next week to see Flari handle the White House press corps.